Training..is the opposite of hope

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Running 21K couldn’t feel better!

As I sat at my desk today my calves were aching some…joking to a co-worker “my legs are in protest already, knowing what I’m going to put them through when I get home”…when I arrived home, they were still feeling tight and aching…thinking, I’m never going to be able to run 21k feeling like this. I remembered what my physio told me months ago when I had my injury, “before you go on a run, you can heat the area”…so I put the heating pad to my calves and massaged them…they felt alot better. Before I hit the road I decided to take a bit of salt, a rare commodity in this house, I don’t cook with it, don’t use it on my food etc…periodically I’ve been having muscle spasms in my legs for the last couple of weeks, seeing the increased mileage and I don’t replenish the way I should, wouldn’t be surprised that i’m lacking some of the nutrients I need. Felt strange to put the salt in my hand and pop it into my mouth, see that I avoid it like the plaque. Took some Emergen-C..and out the door I went.

Not sure what worked, but something did…This run was amazing..I couldn’t get over how great my legs felt…As I was running, I thought ….sweet..this is what’s its all about! Some parts of the run it was cold, but over all it was great…running along the golf course, the snow looked beautiful, so clean and not touched….I am very hyped that I’m back up to my 1/2 marathon mileage after I had to stop for a bit..Feels so great!! I am very please with my time also…not that it’s about time at this point….scary because now I ran it under 2 hours…I’ll be expecting that of myself..

My weeks workouts:

Today Friday March 4….21K!!!

Thursday…completed 1 hour of P90X Arms & Shoulders…Feeling it some today..but I might increase my weights..30 min of the heavy weights, 30 min of the lighter weights.. I need to push myself a bit more.

Yoga Class for 1 1/2 hours…my legs felt like two blocks of wood..tight..Yoga is amazing, an important part of my training… I really need to be adding more yoga into my routine..

Wednesday..Ab Ripper & 5K.. Broke my golden rule of running back to back but I need to get 3 runs in a week..Legs tight again…I was thinking these short recovery runs are sometimes harder than the long runs. Came home and did some research on recovery runs…best thing I’ve read in a long time. ” A Fresh Prespective On Recovery Runs” Below:

“ In short, recovery runs do not enhance recovery. Nevertheless, recovery runs are almost universally practiced by top runners. That wouldn’t be the case if this type of workout weren’t beneficial. So what is the real benefit of recovery runs? The real benefit of recovery runs is that they increase your fitness–perhaps almost as much as longer, faster runs do–by challenging you to run in a pre-fatigued state (i.e. a state of lingering fatigue from previous training.)”

Tuesday: 5K run

Monday..Rest

Enjoy you’re pain, you’ve earned it!

Workout:

•Type: Run
•Date: 03/04/2011
•Time: 11:31:44
•Total Time: 1:51:00.00
•Calories: 1650
•Distance: 21 km
•Average Pace: 5:17.18/km

1 comment:

  1. two hour runs are awesome! I'm not sure about the salt thing but whatever works... I eat a little something every 60 minutes in a long run. I find I recover better. Also, long runs mean gatorade after

    ReplyDelete